How to Determine your Insurance Coverage for Cost of Care
How To Find Out What Your Behavioral/Mental Health Benefits Are
A Step-by-Step Guide to determining your benefits
- Call the customer service number located on the back of your insurance card or contact your HR department to obtain more information on your mental health care benefit coverage.
- Ask the following questions:
- Do I have coverage for outpatient mental health or behavioral health services in Illinois?
- Do I have a deductible for outpatient mental health services? What is the deductible amount?
- A deductible is a fixed amount the patient has to pay each year before their insurance company will begin to cover the cost of a covered service.
- Do I have a copay or coinsurance?
- A copay is a fixed amount the patient pays each visit to share the cost of a covered service with the insurance company. Coinsurance is a fixed percentage the patient is expected to pay once their deductible has been met.
- Are my mental health services covered through another carrier?
- Do I need to obtain prior authorization or a referral to receive mental health services?