Having always been a curiosity-driven person, Psychiatry has been my calling. Even as a young individual, I have always been intrigued by the interplay of the human mind and behavior. I have lived in different countries and I believe this has been one of my greatest assets, which provides me with a uniquely diverse perspective that my patients would benefit from.
I believe in evidence-based medicine and like to keep myself up to date with the latest research and advancements in medicine. I believe that as a Psychiatrist my role is to be a careful and compassionate listener to my patient’s concerns, be empathic, and be respectful towards them while also advocating for them in the community. I have completed my General Psychiatry Residency at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine and served as a Chief Resident there and also earned the award for the Resident of The Year. I completed my 2 year Child & Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship at Rush University Medical Center and served as a Chief Fellow while my tenure there. I view these awards as a continued commitment to patient care and fulfilling the oath that I shall continue to work as a compassionate, empathic, and well-informed physician.
I provide both medication management and brief psychotherapy, being mindful that every treatment should be individualized to meet my patient’s needs. My clinical interests are the various mental health disorders such as ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder, and Mood Disorders that affect the child and adolescent population.
Blue Cross Blue Shield • Self pay • United • Aetna • Cigna • Medicare •
ADD/ADHD Medication Management • Adjustment Disorder • Anger Management • Anorexia Nervosa • Anxiety • Autism • Binge Eating Disorder • Bipolar Disorder • Borderline Personality Disorder • Bulimia • Daytime Sleepiness • Depression • Eating Disorder • Gender Dysphoria • Grief and Loss/Bereavement • Insomnia • Major Depressive Disorder • Medication Review • Mood Disorders • Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) • Personality Disorder • Phobias/Irrational Fears • Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) - Trauma • Psychiatric Consultation • Sadness • Schizophrenia • Self Esteem • Sexual Dysfunction • Sleep Disorder • Social Anxiety • Stress/Worry • Suicidal Thoughts
- Illinois State Medical Society
- Illinois Psychiatric Society
- Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- American Psychiatric Association
Honors and awards
- 2019 Chief Fellow
- 2019 Representative of the Mind Games for APA (Residency)
- Chief Resident, 2019 Resident of The Year
- Hussain,M., Abbasy,S., Jauregui, M., Cosme,R.. Cerebellar Cognitive Affective Syndrome: A Case Report and Literature Review of Available Treatments. [PSYCH 2020-048]. Psychiatric Annals. 2020, Oct
- Ahmed,S., Hussain,M., Virani,S., Dar,S., Sreeram,V.,, Ahmed,R., Farooq,M.T., Shah,P., Shah,T., Singh,S.,Memon,R., Kosaraju,S., Gill,M.. Suicide: A Complex Phenomenon, Risk Assessment, A Dilemma of Emergency Room Physicians [Ms.No.ACRGROUP-15-614]. Journal of Addiction Research and Therapy. 2015
- Mathai,D., Holst,M., Rodgman,C., Haile,C., Keller,J., Hussain,M., Kosten,T., Newton,T., Verrico,C.. (2017, June 23). Guanfacine Attenuates Adverse Effects of Dronabinol (THC) on Working Memory in Adolescent-Onset Heavy Cannabis Users: A Pilot Study